Today’s text is from Luke 16:1-13. You can listen to today’s sermon here.
1) “The Message Translation”
2) “Reversals of Wealth”
3) “Wealth belongs to God”
4) “What if our relationship to wealth?”
5) “In God We Trust”
– Where are our loyalties? What relationships are we trying to develop?
6) “Stewards of God’s creation – not our “own” stuff”
- What is our responsibility to those with less?
- How might we use the money we have to build relationships?
- What might our community of faith look like if it became a place where we could help each other think more clearly about our economic lives in light of our faith, and how do we help each other use money well without ultimately serving it?
Reversals of Status/Wealth:
Mary: “God has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. He has brought down the powerful from their thrones and lifted up the lowly; he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty.” – Luke 1:51-53
“But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.” – Luke 6:24
“But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your lifetime you received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner evil things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in agony.’” – Luke 16:25
“Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” – Luke 18:25
Love of Money Verse:
“For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and in their eagerness to be rich some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains.” – 1 Timothy 6:10